Thursday, April 17, 2014

What a year

Over the past year my life has changed in ways I personally can barely understand. My dog died last March. It took over 3 months for the house to finally come down, even though after the first week or so the soot had penetrated our belongings so much whatever we hadn't already saved was beyond the ability to rescue anything. Something I wish I knew in the beginning. Personal items certainly aren't everything, but they are important.

I went to Germany and Georgia, met new friends in the wonderful extremely hospitable country of Georgia which has been on my mind for a very long time. I met so many friends and they are all so special. My travel in Germany meeting my family, the side which I personally take after the most (no-nonsense when it comes to the important things, hyper-intelligence, ability to have fun, with strong values) meeting my wonderful aunt and many very special cousins, and seeing my friends in Köln who I enjoy being with. That was a trip I had planned for years and I can't wait to return.

I finished my associates and helped coordinate an international science conference (not primarily but helped with details, and wish I had done more) and started doing my bachelor's degree. I love my school, I love my teachers, and have met many very good friends. I have become involved in the local Unitarian Universalist church and have met more people there that share my basic beliefs and desire to just make a difference in the world regardless of how hard it might be which is so important. With board game club, advocacy for my university, registering people to vote, and getting a new job recently I have had the most amazing year. The only thing my life is missing is a girlfriend which would make me completely whole.

I've decided to live off-campus next year so I have a kitchen available and people won't decide to come in drunk at late hours which will be very convenient. I will have a job working at a small convenience store soon which will help bring in some income which will help me save for grad school or whatever I decide to do after my bachelor's degree. I'm torn between going to grad school immediately and getting a job for a while before going back. Excluding things like making a family if the right person comes along, I expect I will continue to grad school which will open a lot of doors in economics. I'm really excited.

My parents will also move into their new house in just a week or two which will be very nice for all of us.

No comments: